Jesus and His Saints (that’s us who are saved and are caught up to Heaven) will return to earth, and Jesus will end the heinous Battle of Armageddon. It always makes me go “huh?” when I try to picture these “mere mortals” shooting at Jesus like they think they can kill him. Duh. One simple flick of His finger would crush them all.
The Battle of Armageddon
A. The Preparation for the Battle and the Way for the Kings of the East (The Sixth Vial)
1. The River Euphrates is Dried Up – “And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.” (Revelation 16:12) The Euphrates river is called “the great river.” It starts in Armenia (Turkey) and runs through Iraq, Babylon and into the Persian Gulf. It is one of the great rivers of the world. This will be the path the armies from the east will take to Armageddon. These “kings of the east” are probably the Russian States, Iran, Turkey, Iraq, Red China, etc. They will be prepared for conventional warfare.
2. Unclean Spirits (Devils) Come from the World’s Leaders – “And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.” (Revelation 16:13) The devils come out of the mouth of the Dragon (the Devil – Revelation 20:2), the Beast (the world’s political ruler), and the False Prophet (the one-world religious leader). This may mean that the demons inhabit the words and instruction that this unholy trinity gives.
3. These Devils Gather an Army – “For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.” (Revelation 16:14) Using man’s gullibility, the devils do miracles, go into every nation of the world and begin gathering the largest army in history – from every nation in the whole world.
4. God’s Mercy is Still Extended – “Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.” (Revelation 16:15) Despite God’s wrath being poured out on the world, His mercy is still extended, and the saved on earth are encouraged to watch and be ready. See Matthew 25:13 and “Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober (be serious; take this very serious). For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day; be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.” (1 Thessalonians 5:5-10) It has never been God’s plan for humans to die the second death of hell. Hell was His plan for Satan and his minions. God is merciful till the very end.
5. The Nations are Gathered Together into a Place Called Armageddon – “And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.” (Revelation 16:16) Armageddon means “the mountain of Megiddo.” Megiddo means “the place of troops.” This is an historical battlefield:
a. Sisera – The captain of the host of Canaan was defeated by Barak and Deborah by the waters of Megiddo. (Judges 5:19-20)
b. Ahaziah – The king of Judah died at Megiddo after being pursued by the zealous Jehu. (2 Kings 9:27)
c. Josiah – The righteous king of Judah was killed while fighting against the army of Pharoah-necho (2 Kings 23:29)
NOTE: Between the preparation for the Battle of Armageddon and the battle itself is the destruction of the Great Whore (ecumenical religion) in Revelation 17, and the destruction of Babylon (the world’s material system) in Revelation 18.
B. The Battle Itself
1. The Participants
a. The Lord Jesus Christ – With all of His glorious names, Jesus Christ rides on a white horse in power and splendor. “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God… And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS… And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.” (Revelation 19:11-13, 16, 19)
b. The Armies of Heaven – These follow Jesus on white horses and in fine, white linen – “And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.” (Revelation 19:14)
c. The Lost Nations and Armies of this World – This includes the Beast, the kings of the earth, and all their armies. “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God… That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.” (Revelation 19:15, 18, 19)
2. The Battle
a. The enemies of the Lord are smitten by the power of His Word. (Revelation 19:15 above) Compare that with Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
Notice the reference to the winepress in Revelation 14:19, 20 “And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress, even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs.” Sixteen hundred furlongs equals about 200 miles. That is a lot of blood; more than I can even begin to imagine. This description of bloodshed vividly depicts the extent of God’s righteous judgment. All who oppose the reign of God will be crushed.
b. The Beast and the False Prophet are Captured and Cast into the Lake of Fire – “And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.” (Revelation 19:20)
c. All the Rest of the Armies are Slain – These are those slain by the power of the Lord’s Sword, which is His Word. “And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.” (Revelation 19:21) The flesh of all these armies is devoured by vultures. (Revelation 19:17, 18, 21)
- Does the Bible accurately foretell the future? Check it out because someday you will find out where your eternity will be! (frankdimora.typepad.com)
- Revelation 16 (sistersforchrist.wordpress.com)
- The Seven Bowls of God’s Wrath (brakeman1.com)
- Jesus Will Return – Are You Ready? (todaysfreshmanna.wordpress.com)