In the last post we shared about living each day for the Lord and some perfectly great reasons for doing so. But, how do we do that? Just saying we know God is not living for Him. Even the demons “know” God, but they do not live for Him. It is not enough to say, “I am Saved or I know God.” We must live our Salvation out and grow in Him more every day. Many who know me are familiar with a saying I have grown accustomed to, “I will never know everything about God and His Word, I learn more each day. The day I think I know it all, it is time for me to Go Home!” Even as I am led to share these posts, I ask His Holy Spirit to teach me what I need to learn from them.
Once we have trusted in Jesus’ deliverance from our sins, we must continue to grow closer to Him each and every day. Of course, we must enter into our prayer closets and share and listen to His sweet voice, but perhaps the most vital thing we can do is get into His teaching manual, His Word.
In my quiet time this morning as I was in His Word (my Women’s Study Bible-KJV), I read an insert by Stormie Omartian from “The Power of Praying” that I believe is helpful for us all as we grow closer to our Saviour. I trust this into God’s capable hands to get it where He needs it to go, and to do what He needs it to do in me. Words in () are mine.
“Ten Good Reasons to Read God’s Word”
1. To know where you are going.You can’t foresee the future or exactly where you are heading, but God’s Word will guide you – Psalm 119:133 “Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.”
2. To have wisdom. Knowledge of God’s Word is where wisdom begins to grow in you – Psalm 19:7 “The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.”
3. To find success. When you live according to the teachings of the Bible, life works – Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” (Wow, need I say more? God does not and cannot lie!)
4. To live in purity. You must live a life of holiness and purity in order to enjoy more of the Lord’s presence, but you can’t be made pure without being cleansed through God’s Word – Psalm 119:9 “Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.”
5. To obey God. If you don’t understand what God’s laws are, how can you obey them? – Psalm 119:33-35 “Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.” (I so love the delight I feel in my soul when God is showing me something in His Word. Those who do not experience this are really missing out on a marvelous blessing.)
6. To have joy. You cannot be free of anxiety and unrest without the Word of God in your heart – Psalm 19:8 “The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.”
7. To grow in faith. You can’t grow in faith without reading and hearing the Word of God – Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (It really is beyond my comprehension how so many today muddle through this life that is wrought with trials, without the guidance and strength that God has for us in His Word. I find my faith tested every day. I simply do not believe I could go through those tests without God’s help. He has taught and is still teaching me that my faith grows stronger with each trial I make it through. Unfortunately, I have had to learn some things the hard way. Mainly, that I really would have saved myself a lot of heartache if I had made it a habit to stay in God’s Word searching His Will and proving all things through it, earlier in my life.)
8. To find deliverance. You won’t know what you need to be free of unless you study God’s Word to find out – John 8:31-32 “Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
9. To have peace. God will give you a peace that the world can’t give, but you must find it first in His Word – Psalm 119:165 “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.” (God’s peace far surpasses anything of this world. I have found that when I stay close to God and His Word, what others might mean as offense to me are not taken as such. Things just do not bother me when I stay in fellowship with Him, I am under His wing.)
10. To distinguish good from evil. Everything has become so relative today, how can you know for sure what is right and wrong without God’s Word? – Psalm 119:11 “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”
(There have been times in my life that I was more in the world than in God’s Word. When we choose to do that, sin becomes easier. We become numb to what our Holy Spirit is telling us about the sin in our lives. Wrong becomes right and right becomes wrong. One thing I can say is that I never felt peace while in those times. I would much rather live in as much of God’s peace which comes from His direction, than the upheaval I felt in my soul during my times of low self-worth and turning from Him. There is no high on earth that can compare to the peace and Joy from our Heavenly Father. He wants that for all!)
GOD HAS PRESERVED HIS SUPERNATURAL WORD FOR HIS CHILDREN. THERE IS NO GREATER LOVE THAN THE LOVE OF YAHWEH!