EVERY BORN AGAIN CHILD OF GOD MUST IMPLEMENT THIS IN OUR LIVES EACH AND EVERY DAY! Yes, only the armor of God will win the battle of spiritual warfare that we all face if we are born again by the blood of Jesus Christ. When we become children of God, we not only inherit God’s blessings but God’s enemies as well. The Lord’s foremost enemy is satan, whose purpose is to destroy God’s work – John 8:44 “Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” But, Jesus came to “destroy the works of the devil!” 1 John 3:8 “He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.”
satan is a fallen angel – Isaiah 14:12-15 “How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.” As a fallen angel, he is only a created being. He is in no way equal to God, our Creator! While satan is superior in intellect and strength to mankind, he is inferior to God in every way. Believers have the power of the indwelling resurrected Christ over them and protecting them. All we have to do is use the Living Word of God and believe, His power will overcome the enemy – 1 John 4:4 “Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.” (Man do I wear that verse out!)
In addition, believers have been given the whole armor of God “to stand against the wiles of the devil” – Ephesians 6:11 “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”
Each piece of the armor is to be put on to help believers overcome the temptations and attacks of the evil one!
- Having Girded Your Waist with Truth (Ephesians 6:14): The waist or abdomen area was generally thought to be the seat of emotions. To gird this area with truth is to commit your emotions to believe the truth. Often a person knowingly allows herself to believe a lie because of fear or self-pity. Believers must hold a commitment to truth regardless of the repercussions – John 8:32, 36 “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free…If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
- Having Put on the Breastplate of Righteousness (Ephesians 6:14): “Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;” The breast is generally thought of as the place of the soul. The heart must be kept pure and righteous because sin gives a foothold to the enemy. We must confess our sin, and then forgiveness on the basis of the blood of Christ cleanses our hearts – 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
- Having Shod Your Feet with the Preparation of the Gospel of Peace (Ephesians 6:15): “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;” The proper shoes enable our feet to go from place to place. The believer is to be about her Father’s business, which is to spread the gospel of peace and reconciliation. An unshakable sense of this mission will keep us headed in the right direction – Matthew 28:19, 20 “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
- Taking the Shield of Faith (Ephesians 6:16): “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” Notice it says ALL the fiery darts of the wicked. The wicked one is “the accuser of our brethren” – Revelation 12:10 “And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.” He will send his fiery darts to instill doubt, fear, and guilt. Faith acts as an invisible shield that deflects such false accusations – Hebrews 11:6 “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” The one thing that helps us keep that faith is memorizing these words from God and using them against that evil accuser. God’s Words are living and they have power from on High that we do not have. Remember how Jesus did that when He was tempted by satan?
- Take the Helmet of Salvation (Ephesians 6:17): “And take the helmet of salvation,” A helmet protects the head, that is, our brain and our thoughts (yes, satan can try to attack us and make us doubt by getting into our thoughts. We must come against those thoughts immediately, for we learn to know and discern right away that such thoughts are not from God. And evil MUST flee at the name of Jesus – “the LORD rebuke you satan”, “get thee behind me satan, in the name of JESUS I command you!”). Assurance of Salvation is a mighty defense against doubt and insecurity and the kinds of works that are bred by them – 1 John 5:11-13 “And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.” What an awesome, assuring promise! Memorize it!
- Take the Sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:17): “and the sword of the Spirit,which is the word of God:” The Word of God, the only offensive weapon in this armor, was used by the Lord Jesus against satan as I said above. We find this account in Luke 4:1-13. As I said, the Word of God is living and all powerful as well as effective and instructive (Hebrews 4:12; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17) “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart…All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.”
- Praying Always (Ephesians 6:18): “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;” Prayer opens communication between us and God. In the midst of battle, we as believers MUST keep in CONSTANT communication with our Leader for directions and encouragement. Our prayers for one another are important and effectual – James 5:16 “Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”