John’s Witness of the Third Heaven – Part 8
- The Marriage of the Lamb – Revelation 19:7-9 “Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.”
- Christ is the groom. All of the saved make up His bride. The espousal stage of marriage is over – 2 Corinthians 11:2 “For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.” Romans 7:4 “Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.”
- There is no longer a physical separation, as in betrothal marriages in the Middle East. We are now physically together forever, thus is John 14:2-3 fulfilled – “In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.” (Study the parable of the Great Supper in Luke 14:16-24, or the parable of the King’s Son in Matthew 22:1-14 for similarities.)
- Those in Heaven are not allowed to worship angels or men – Rev. 19:10 “And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” Compare Rev. 22:8-9 “And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.” They are allowed to worship only God.
- The Heaven will open as Jesus, on a white horse, and His armies descend to the earth for the great battle – Rev. 19:11-16 “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”
- Christ is described as Faithful and True, The Word of God, THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. He judges and makes war with those on earth. His eyes are as a flame of fire. On His head are many crowns. “Crown Him with many crowns…” the songwriter wrote, inspired by this text.
- Jesus will have a name that no one knows but Himself. There are some secret things in Heaven.
- His vesture is dipped in blood. Some believe this is His own blood. They have a point. Who else’s blood would be in Heaven – Hebrews 12:23-24 “To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”
- Jesus will leave Heaven with a sharp sword and an iron rod – Rev. 2:27 “And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.” Rev. 12:5 “And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.” In the fierceness and wrath of God, Jesus will trample the enemies of God under his feet.
- Will we be in Jesus’ army? It seems to depend on our faithfulness – Matthew 25:21, 23 “His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” Luke 19:17-19 “And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities. And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds. And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.” Or it could depend on our suffering for Christ – 2 Timothy 2: 12 “If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:” Notice how those who have suffered are given positions of judgment, and they are allowed to reign with Christ during the millennium on earth – Rev. 20:4-6 “And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.”
Another angel comes down from Heaven having the key to the Bottomless Pit – Rev. 20:1-3 “And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.” He lays hold on Satan, binds him with a great chain, and casts him into the Bottomless Pit. Satan stays there for 1,000 years. This seems to be the last sight that originates in the Third Heaven.
The rest of John’s visiobn in Revelation 20:4-10 takes place on earth until Chapter 20:11-15. These verses describe the Great White Throne Judgment of sinners before God. This event does not seem to take place in either Heaven or on Earth (read carefully 20:11). This seems to be when 21:1 takes place – “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.”
The Great White Throne Judgment will be such a sobering, horrific sight, that the earth and Heaven will flee away – Rev. 20:11. This phrase means “to seek safety by flight, to escape safely out of danger, to flee something abhorrent, to vanish.” This will probably be the end of the Third Heaven.
1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Next: The New Heaven and the New Jerusalem
- What Will Our Bodies Be Like in Heaven? (biblebelievernet.com)
- Rewards – What about Crowns in Heaven? (biblebelievernet.com)
- King of kings and Lord of lords (leadmeintheeverlastingway.com)